The overall goal of the NCD program is to reduce the burden of NCDs by promoting healthy lifestyles, reducing common risk factors, and providing integrated evidence-based, innovative, and cost-effective public health and clinical interventions
Cardiovascular diseases (CVD), chronic respiratory diseases (CRD), Cancer, Eye Health, and diabetes (DM) are the four major NCD initiatives being addressed in the ministry.
The following are key objectives of the NCD initiative:
- Strengthen national capacity, public policies through health in all policies, leadership, governance, multi-sectoral action, and partnership
- Reduce exposure to modifiable risk factors for non-communicable diseases
- Strengthen and reorient health systems to address prevention and control of non-communicable diseases
- Strengthen national capacity for NCDs and risk factors surveillance and research
- Strengthen international cooperation and advocacy towards NCDs