The Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition (MCHN) directorate is one of the Directorates under the State Minister's office for Programs.
The directorate is composed of eight case teams namely; Adolescent & youth Health ,Family Planning, Maternal health, Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT), Newborn and Child Health, Immunization, Nutrition and Seqota Declaration case teams with a total of 78 staffs.
The directorate works in close collaboration with other directorates in the Ministry, with other Ministries in the country as well as with local and international partner organizations.
The directorate implements the major priority programs for all respects of maternal, child health and nutrition issues throughout the country and contributes to the mission and vision of the ministry.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES OF THE OVERALL PROGRAMS UNDER THE DIRECTORATE
- Country ownership, leadership and accountability
- Equity and Accessibility
- Community engagement, empowerment and ownership.
- Efficient use of resources
- Innovation and use of technology
- Evidence based decision-making
- Quality of health care services
ROLES OF THE DIRECTORATE
- Provide direction on Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child, Adolescent Health and Nutrition & Seqota Declaration (RMNCAHN) programs, interventions and activities
- Provide technical support to regions and health facilities as per their request
- Respond accordingly to RMNCAHN related equipment, supplies and commodities request from regions and facilities
- Work in collaboration and partnership with other governmental organizations and ministries with regard to RMNCAHN interventions
- Advocate for the adoption of RMNCAH and nutrition friendly policies and evidence based interventions
- Mobilize resources for RMNCAH and Nutrition interventions
- Work in partnership with development partners, bilateral and multilateral organizations, NGOs, civil society organizations to reduce preventable maternal, newborn and child deaths.
- Review and respond to project proposals relevant to the RMNCAHN activities submitted by the non-governmental organizations, professional societies and associations
- Provide supportive supervision, monitoring and evaluation and track performances in accordance with the national plan.
- Provide immediate response to the needs and requests of clients/ service users
- Provide appropriate information to individual and organizations which seek to work together and implement the plans of the directorate.