Ensuring appropriate utilization of financial resources that are obtained both from government & development partners!
Objective of the Directorate
The objective of Finance and Procurement Directorate, in addition to ensuring appropriate utilization of financial resources that are obtained both from government & development partners is ascertaining that the monetary income and expenditures of the Ministry is undertaken in line with the financial laws and directives of the country as well as in compliance with the requirements of the health development partners. The directorate is also required to ensure that the grant fund is used for intended purpose in the time specified and reported is issued timely. It is also the objective of the directorate to facilitate supply and management of goods and services contributing to the success of the health sector.
Organization of the Directorate
Finance and Procurement Directorate is accountable to the State Minister for Operations. Currently, the directorate has six case teams accountable to it. These are Government Accounts Case Team, Grant Finance Case Team, Grant Management Case Team, Procurement Case Team, Property Administration Case Team and Integrated Financial Management Information (IFMIS) Case Team. The Total number of Staff under the directorate is 73 (45 males & 28 Females).
Government Accounts Case Team
- Timely request budget from MOFED for capital, salary and operating activities.
- Issue receiving vouchers for various incomes and ensure that it is recorded properly.
- Effect payment in line with the budget allocated by the government.
- Respond to auditors queries timely and appropriately.
- Prepare and submit reports on receipts and utilization of treasury budgets.
- Timely close the books of accounts and present to internal and external auditors for review and take corrective action on audit findings.
- Settle payments for any services, purchases, salary, allowance and other financial commitments of the Ministry.
Grant Finance Case Team
- Ensure that funds obtained from development partners are used for intended purposes.
- Regularly submit reports to stakeholders and the management.
- Follow up receivable and payable accounts for settlement.
- Ensure the accuracy of financial statements and carryout supervisory tasks.
- Keep the records of resources obtained from various development partners accurately.
- Ensure the accuracy of financial statements.
- Carryout supervisory tasks at Regional Health \bureaus and other implementing agencies.
- Facilitate all audit activities by external and internal auditors.
- Take corrective actions based on the auditors' comments.
- Exchange statement of account with implementing partners & keep the record updated.
- Identify grants finance management gaps, at all levels, and propose a plan for bridging.
Procurement Case Team
- Review and analyze tenders in order to prepare contracts for supply of goods and services.
- Provide support to regional health bureaus and federal hospitals regarding the implementation of purchases.
- Prepare procurement plans based on input requirements of the Ministry.
- Carry out the procurement of goods and services locally and internationally in response to the request from directorates and bureaus.
- Ascertain transparency and accountability in the procurement processes by adhering to government policy and procedures on procurement.
- Request for yearly procurement needs, and collect from directorates and offices of the Ministry, and develop a consolidated procurement plan and carry out the purchase through open bid.
- Make close follow up on all procurements carried out through external agents including Public Procurement and Property Disposal Service of the Federal Government.
- Facilitate all audit activities by external and internal auditors on procurement.
- Take corrective actions based on the auditors comments. Provide regular and timely report on procurement.
- Based on agreed detailed implementation plan, request fund from development partners and timely secure for implementation.
- Facilitate the signing of Memorandum of understanding with implementing partners.
- Ensure that funds are transferred to implementing partners timely.
- Facilitate sub-recipients selection process and manage contracts entered with sub-recipients.
- Reconcile narrative and financial reports before issuing to stakeholders.
- Submit grant report to management & stakeholders on time.
- In consultation with the development partners, reprograms or reallocates the activities previously agreed up on.
- Ascertain that projects are completed in the agreed time table.
- Ensure that projects are officially closed on time.
- Follow up on the audit of grant funds and take actions on the audit findings.
Property Administration Case Team
- Receive, organize, keep and manage the custody of all properties obtained through procurement, gift or donation.
- Issue and distribute properties upon proper authorization.
- Carry out segregation of consumables and fixed asset as per the applicable rules and procedures.
- Conduct annual inventory of all properties under the custody of the Ministry.
- Provide property reports to management regularly.
- Present annual supply requirements of the Ministry to Procurement Case Team.
- Carry out disposal of items based on disposal policy of the government.
- Propose alternative direction on property administration and implement upon approval.
IFMIS Case Team
- Putting in place and ensuring that the financial Management and internal control of the Ministry is modernized and internationally acceptable.
- Establishing an integrated financial system that fastens the accountancy works.
- Introducing and marketing, at all levels in the health institutions, about the use of IFMIS.
- Providing training and continuous support to all IFMIS users.
- Standardizing work processes across the national health institutions.
- Enabling a single system with extensive quality reporting facilities from the same data source across the national health institutions.
- Paving a platform to prepare the current budgeting system to output based budgeting methods.