Hygiene and Environmental Health directorate is one of the directorates in the ministry under the program wing. The Directorate focuses on interventions of environmental determinants of health and thereby promoting health, preventing diseases and other conditions and improving quality of health services. Hygiene and Environmental Health interventions encompasses implementation of multi-dimensional interventions to ensure access to adequate and safe sanitation; personal hygiene; water safety and quality; food hygiene and safety; air quality; healthy living environment; occupational health & safety; liquid and solid waste management and Vector and Rodent control. The directorate also focuses on building climate-resilient health system and provision of standard water, sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) response in emergencies.
The scope of each teams are very wide and interlinked. The interventions will be implemented at various levels and settings including at household, community, health care facilities and other institutions level; and in rural, urban, and pastoral areas.
To prevent disease, promote health, safety and wellbeing of Ethiopians through provision and regulation of comprehensive HEH services and ensuring the highest possible quality in an equitable manner.
Hygiene and Environmental Health Directorate has the following four case teams.
- Waste Management case team
- Food, Water Safety and Hygiene case team
- Institutional Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene case team
- Climate Change and Social Conformity case team
Role and responsibilities
Over all, the directorate is responsible to lead, support and coordinate hygiene, sanitation and Environmental Health programs nationally.
- Prepare policies, strategies, guidelines, manuals and SoPs for the program and coordinate and support their implementation.
- Strengthen institutional arrangement and implementation capacity for the program at all level
- Mobilize and properly utilize resources for program implementation
- Conduct research for evidence based decision
- Provide capacity building supports for concerned stakeholders
- Strengthen and coordinate multi-sectorial and private sector integration
- Monitor and evaluate progresses against targets
- Facilitate experience sharing and scaling up of good experiences
Program ,Projects and Initiatives
2. Personal Hygiene
3. Waste Management
4. Water and Food hygiene and safety
5. Environmental pollution
6. Institutional WaSH
7. Occupational Health and Safety
8. Climate change and Health
9. Emergency WaSH
One WaSH National Program, Consolidated WaSH Account (OWNP-CWA)